12/27/15 Pensive, thoughts

I’m not going to rant or anything, but I am feeling pensive today and would like to share some thoughts with you.

As you know from my Pitmas Eve and Pitmas Day posts, we had company over the holiday. I like having company. My primary issue is that I want to jump up and kiss everybody, and that could tend to knock younger, smaller, humans over. So, when company came to our house, my human parents kept me on a leash the entire time, with someone watching over me.

I was a good girl. Once I welcomed everyone I settled down and I did not jump.

I would like to gently point out, however, that if children insist on startling dogs (or cats), they are likely to wind up getting hurt. No one got hurt at our house over the holiday, but this is an important message that I feel needs to get out there.

Human children should be supervised around animals. Because when dog bites or cat scratches happen, it is always the animal who gets blamed/held in quarantine/put down. Seldom do people blame the humans for anything. But, for example, when a friendly cat gets picked up by the stomach and whirled around, he or she, no matter how good-natured, can only take so much!

Likewise, with a large dog. We are not meant to be ridden. We do not like when human children pop out of nowhere, grab our muzzles, then scream loudly in our sensitive ears. Or when they suddenly leap on us, wrapping their arms around our necks and choking us with no warning. These practices directly lead to dog bites and cat scratches, especially on the face and head of the human children involved.

I just want to know – if my parents are supervising ME, shouldn’t the OTHER parents be supervising THEIR kids??

Just a thought.

pensive

Woof! Love, Maggie

23 thoughts on “12/27/15 Pensive, thoughts

Oh, dear. Excellent thoughts, Maggie. It is a shame humans don’t tell this to their kids. Your humans are pretty darn great to let you know how to behave, but it works both ways. Keep on being the good girl that you are.

2. CrimsonCorundum

You’re perfectly right, Maggie. Personally, I always blame the parents, never the animal. Occasionally, if it’s a rather big and obnoxious child, I might secretly blame that too, but I wouldn’t dare to say it out loud of course.

3. colinandray

Very good, and so important, messages. It never ceases to amaze me how many people (of all ages) think that it is ok to just walk up to a strange dog and touch it! Always, always, always, ask for permission, as one never knows what is in a dog’s past and therefore how it will react.

4. hitandrun1964

Maggie, you must understand that dogs and cats, well, all animals really, are so much more intelligent than humans. Humans are pretty much at the bottom of the pyramid when it comes to brains. If they an an once of your intelligence we wouldn’t be killing each other, let along jumping on you. I’m sorry the species is so incredibly stupid and I’m sorry all you you get blamed for parents who don’t have a working brain cell in their heads. The kids should be caged and leashed, not you.

5. cb

Well put. Pets are frequently required to behave better than children are. Can you imagine the hue and cry if children were taught to “sit” or “stay” or were required to be on a leash. I have been in more than one situation where I thought a child should have been on a leash.

6. Susan P

Maggie, you deserve a medal. That had to be very trying. Sheesh, it would try the patience of the saints. In fact, in those kinds of situations, I get overwhelmed. I hope you were suitably recompensed for your pain.

7. The Daily Blabber

Kids should be taught to play politely with pets. I used to tell Andre, you wouldn’t hit or try to ride on your friends right? Then you can’t hit and ride Zoie either. Petless parents think that you are supposed to be responsible for your pets, and you are, but they really should take responsibility for their kids too. If a child gets bitten because they manhandled an animal, it is just as much their fault as it is the dogs, if not more.

8. elizabethcollie

I LOVE this post.This is something that drives me crazy! On a slightly different note: we were walking outside in a public area, and a child (about ten years old) came running up and started to pet Chance without even acknowledging me. He didn’t hold his hand out first or anything, just began petting his head. His parents were about ten feet away, and never said a word. I was so taken aback by the whole thing that I stood there in a moment of shock before explaining that it isn’t safe to run up to dogs and pet them without asking. Thankfully Chance doesn’t have an aggressive bone in his body…but a stranger just running up and grabbing your face is not something any dog should have to deal with. Parents need to teach there kids better! Sorry for the abnormally long comment, but I read this and just had to share.

Woof! Another thing that gets under my fur is pet parents who let their dogs run unleashed. That is so irresponsible! We were walking in the forest preserve and two big German Shepherds bounded right up on Dad. He was so taken aback! But the owners did nothing. (smh) I agree totally that it is lucky Chance is not aggressive, but what if he was having a bad day that day? That kid would have been sorry for grabbing his face. Thanks for sharing! Woof! Love, Maggie

9. ramblingsofaperforatedmind

Most excellent post! I always told my kids if they got bit or scratched, they (not the animal) would be in hot water. I taught mine how to treat pets. Anyone who comes to my house will respect the home of my pets or the guests will be unceremoniously escorted out.

It is very surprising how many parents nowadays do not educate their children on strange animals. I couldn’t imagine going up to a “pet” bird and just grabbing for him – I’d imagine I’d get a pecking, but good. Seems people don’t apply the same logic to dogs and cats. Thanks for being one of the good guys. Woof!

1. ramblingsofaperforatedmind

I would have received a spanking for that! Sometimes parents try to reason with kids or put them in time out, but certain things should be non-negotiable. Being too rough on animals is one of those things.

10. lexitheschnauzer

Thank you for being our ambassador, Maggie. I hope you are preaching it on Facebook and other social media, not just “to the choir,” BOL! You can’t imagine the things I was put through to be tested to be a therapy dog. Just because the little rug rats don’t now how to behave with a dog!