Last night, Mom got an email (3 of them actually) from her Super Agent, Nancy.
This time Nancy told Mom she didn’t think the book was going to get published, and that Mom should consider self-publishing.
To say that Mom was gutted would be an understatement.
Mom’s written three children’s book manuscripts:
Maggie: A Shelter Dog Finds Her Home;
Maggie’s Summertime Adventures; and
Maggie: A Winter’s Tail.
We nearly had a deal last October that fell through. But this new blow had Mom reeling.
Mom says she doesn’t have the money to self-publish, and she would have to hire an illustrator and pay him, too (she has someone in mind).
Mom’s first inclination was to scotch this whole project. Shut down the blog and go away. Everyone was pestering her last night, and no one was acknowledging her feelings, or so she felt.
Mom said she needed time to think, so she went to bed and I snuggled down next to her. She said I was the only one to comfort her. Then she went to sleep.
* * * * *
Another problem is that Jamie is sick again and seems to be getting worse. Dad took Jamie to the Urgent Aid on Thursday (the doctor was closed) and he appeared to rally for a day or two, then seemed to take a downturn. So Mom is taking him off to the doctor again today.
Jamie being sick so much has Mom concerned. She got up early this morning, did some faxes, and set up an appointment with an ENT (earliest available is May) and set up Jamie’s doctor for later today. It’s a beautiful day outside. Mom thought that by now, Jamie would have been feeling better, and maybe could do something, but he remains weak and says “his hair hurts”. Last night he felt he could not make it up and down the stairs, but he attributed this to being tired. Mom is worried Jamie has “mono” or something. I’ll keep you posted when I can.
Jamie is a tough nut to crack, because when you ask him how he is, he always says, “Good” or, “OK”. He could be sitting there on fire and he’d say, “I’m good.” It’s very frustrating for Mom to try to determine when a doctor visit is necessary when the patient is so stoic. Maybe Jamie is part fish. I know Spazz the Goldfish never wants to say anything when he feels bad, either. Secretly, I checked Jamie for gills and fins, but didn’t find any.
* * * * *
Anyway, Mom and I talked about it last night and this morning, and she says that for now, publishing has to be put on “hold” until she can get some money together. Maybe we can get something going in the Fall or Winter. She and I decided that we’d keep the blog rolling because we love our WP family and don’t want to lose you. Mom’s going to continue working on the fourth book, “Mischief With Maggie” and take her time with it. She’s going to first see if she can hire her friend Ivan to do the illustrations, and what his price would be. So the project is going to take some time, but it’s not goodbye. Wish us luck.
Meanwhile, I’ve got to take care of my young human. I’ll report back when I can after he sees the doctor.
Woof! Love, Maggie