5/1/16 Liz and Maggie: Vacation, Part 2

Liz: I’d better back up a bit and explain that the flight to Punta Cana was not without its drama. For some odd reason, Jim became very ill on the airplane, and the flight attendant thought he was having a heart attack. Fortunately, he wasn’t.

Jim passed out for just a few seconds, and after being administered a Dramamine by a nurse on board the plane, was much better. Whew! The staff on the airline hovered over him for the rest of the flight and kept him hydrated with lots of bottled water. By the time we landed, he’d recovered completely. What a scare!

Maggie: The staff at the Vet’s office was very nice to me. They could see I was anxious and starting to bang my head on top of the kennel, just like when I was in the shelter. Mom had packed my medicines and my own personal jar of peanut butter, so taking my medication went very smoothly.

Liz: Here is a pic of Jamie and me in one of the little shopping centers. Mostly, we stayed on resort, which is unusual for us, but in this case, the closest city was 3 hours away! This idol, which I am guessing is a fertility goddess, is all over the Dominican Republic.


Maggie: One nice thing was that I got to see and hear Dr. Craig a lot. I love Dr. Craig, and so him being near was comforting to me.

Liz: Another thing we did on-resort was to see a lot of shows. It’s surprising how many people don’t take advantage of the resort entertainment. The dancers work very hard, and put on a great show. We saw a rock tribute called, “Rock Station”, a juggler/balancer, and a Michael Jackson tribute. Both the musical shows combined elements of classical and modern dance and were very, very, high energy. Everyone who saw the shows loved them and the performers got a standing ovation.

Then it started to rain. It continued to rain the entire time we were there with only brief hours of sunshine. The torrential downpours were mostly at night, with warm sprinkling rain during the day. This break enabled us to take an ATV trip in the middle of the jungle. We did purchase a flash drive with all the pictures of this adventure, but it is not unlocking on our computer equipment at home. Here is a “selfie” of Liz on the trail:


The bandanna was necessary due to mud, rocks, dust, fumes, and overhanging branches. Jamie did the driving with Jim and Erik did the driving with me. The terrain was crazy! One of the ATVs broke down and we all had to snake past it. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

If you look closely in this picture, you can see the torrential downpour at night:


The day arrived for us to leave. Pretty much everything went off without a hitch until we landed at Chicago O’Hare Airport, where we discovered, to our dismay, that ALL of the kiosks for scanning one’s passport were not functioning. The line snaked from a “U” shape all the way through to the four (4) customs personnel working. It was ridiculous. We were delayed 3 hours. I felt like I was going to pass out from lack of water, and one could not get out of line. I worried in case of emergency, that there would be a stampede. I cannot say enough bad things about the return to the Chicago airport!

We had hoped to get Maggie a day early, but we ended up not getting home until almost 11 p.m., well after the Vet closing time. Leaving the suitcases, we collapsed.

Maggie: Another night and they still are not back yet. I decided I would not sleep until my people came. It is important that I am up and ready for when they come back. I know they will come back. One of the Vet Techs told me, “Mommy called to check on you.” I found out later they didn’t have phone service for their cell phones, but Mom finagled a call to the States just for me!

Liz: Early Saturday morning, Jim and I ran over to the Vet’s office to retrieve Maggie. She was overwhelmed to see us but was walking with a limp where she’d cracked a nail. She looked healthy and hydrated, nothing like the last time we boarded her (place to remain un-named). She was happy to see us and settled in on the couch at home very quickly. We are VERY grateful to Dr. Craig and his staff for taking such good care of Maggie while we were gone.


Liz and Maggie: Vacation was good but OH! Is it good to be sleeping at home in bed!


Woof! Love, Maggie



6 thoughts on “5/1/16 Liz and Maggie: Vacation, Part 2

  1. weggieboy

    Woof, Maggie! See, they came home again! And were concerned about you even when they were having fun in the Dominican Republic. How could they not miss you?!

    Sounds like a great time was had by all, Liz! I’m glad Maggie had a good experience at the veterinarian’s. My kitties spent so much of their early kittenhood at the veterinarian’s that they are like unofficial pets there when they come in for routine shots and examinations now. Virtually everyone remembers them as wee guys!

  2. hitandrun1964

    It sounds as if you had a great time. Maggie looks as if she is SO happy to be home. It’s hard for our friends when we go away. I’m happy you made it home safely and blah on the 3 hour delay.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s