7/7/16 Set Up to Fail

Hi, this is Liz. I’m hijacking Maggie’s blog to vent. As you know, we went to the Vet yesterday to get the staple out of Maggie’s nose.

It made me angry that the big dog that was there (at least 5 to 7 inches taller than Maggie from shoulder) was given to an 8 or 9 year old kid to “hold”. The mom in this case held a tiny, teacup poodle and let her son try to manhandle the big pooch, who was aggressively standing and barking. The mom did nothing. It was a struggle to get Maggie out of the Vet’s office (whose staff did nothing, either).  More on that in a sec.

I am very upset.

Society works against dogs like Maggie; setting them up to fail. Example:

Have an incident at the Vet’s office? Schedule her to sit in the waiting area when 6 to 8 dogs are already there.

Need socialization with other dogs? Sorry, you can’t come to our boarding/daycare/dog park/doggy hotel because of your breed.

Jim and I have invested at least a thousand dollars or more on obedience training for Maggie and boot camp. What she sorely needs is socialization with other dogs. However, she hasn’t had – and is not going to get it – because her breed is unwelcome. It’s a catch-22 that’s not fair to the animals. So, while Maggie is well-trained and knows her commands, she still does not know what to do with other animals, since she never gets to interact with them. What happens? My dog continues to view other dogs as a threat, and develops separation anxiety away from her humans. It’s terrible and sad; now that she’s 5, nothing is going to change.

Back to the big dog at the Vet. IF Maggie had reacted with growls or raised hair, AS SHE WOULD HAVE HAD EVERY RIGHT TO DO, it would look bad on her – because of her breed. If she decided to take on this big, aggressive-acting dog, it again would have been her fault – because of her breed. That lady wasn’t taking responsibility for her dog, and that’s one thing that frosts my cookies. It’s perfectly fine to let your dog run loose, or saddle a kid with a dog it can’t handle, as long as there’s a handy Pitbull to blame when things go South.

I don’t see how society as a whole can label one group of dogs as bad, vicious, or dangerous, and then deny them services that would make them not be. It just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s like complaining about the literacy rate, and cutting reading out of schools.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Liz

21 thoughts on “7/7/16 Set Up to Fail

1. colinandray

Enjoyed your vent because I could relate to it.We (fortunately) found a trainer who offered a socialization course which basically taught Ray how to socialize (he had no clue), and taught us what to watch for re his body language. It was a resounding success!
    Of course it does not help unruly dogs who approach him aggressively, but his reaction to them is quite “indifferent”. In contrast he now loves to socialize with well trained dogs.

1. colinandray

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong places? Would suggest contacting trainers. Our trainer pulled together a group of 8 dogs that needed socialization training.

2. Deziz World

Well awnty Liz, you go girl. We don;t unnerstand all this breed legislation ourselves. We don’t purrsonally dislike any doggy, but da humans dat own them on da other hand are a totally different situation. There are several doggies dat live in our pawrtments. We think it’s great dat they can live here and bring joy to their humans. But, their humans are irresponsible and let their dogs crap everywhere and run ’round without a leash thus, makin’ da doggies become a nuisance. It’s not da doggies faults, but they’re da ones dat get da blame. While it’s too late now to do or say anythin’ to big dog owner, you might remind da VETs office staff and any other dog owner dat you find yourself around doin’ this kind of thing dat da law says da doggy must be on a leash attached to a “Respawnsible” adult. In other words, da dog must be under control. Now, Maggie’s not to old to learn socialization. It will be harder fur her, but she can still learn. Maybe you can find a group of dog owners by puttin an ad or post on facebook or somethin’ like dat. We would play with her. Good luck.

Luv ya’

Dezi and Raena

3. foguth

I’ve known several of this breed and the only 2 that ‘lived down to their reputation’ were owned by obnoxious, abusive people, so I agree with Dezi & Raena on this.
    Are there other dogs in the neighborhood she could socialize with? Saphera socializes her neighbors – either we take her to visit or they drop by … IMHO, this is good for her, since she often seems to be a bit more catish than Purrseidon.
    Another thought would be to ask if it would be possible to get her a companion.

4. leggypeggy

You have every right to be annoyed and upset. Perhaps your local rescue association or even the national pitbull association can give you a lead on a trainer who call help Maggie to socialise with other dogs. Just a thought.

Liz–this is awful and I would be really ticked at the vet’s office for allowing this to happen. Yes, so many people complain that pit’s get a bad rap because of their breed. But where’s the help so dog’s like Maggie won’t be known as ‘that breed’? So sorry this happened. We all know Maggie’s a sweetheart.

6. hitandrun1964

You are absolutely right. Your vet sounds terrible and people don’t take responsibility for their companion animals (or their kids). I’m sorry for Maggie. I hope her sweet nose is okay.

The problem is the original vet now has his son and daughter in law working for him. This stuff isn’t happening on his watch; it’s the younger vets. The vet who started the practice used to come to my house to vaccinate my Greyhounds; we go way back. I sent him a letter today.

7. weggieboy

You know where I stand with regards Maggie, and I am furious with you, Liz!

Aside from matters of control of a large dog handed to a small child, had there been a dog fight, that child could have been seriously injured.

I am fortunate that my cats get along with dogs the see in the waiting room of their groomer and veterinarian, but I guarantee they are never out of their carrier and exposed to dogs when in those situations, no matter how nice the dog!

Responsible pet ownership involves not assuming safety of your pet and others, but working actively and with full understanding of the animals involved how they react to others and how others might react to them. That may involve species and breed characteristics or keen observation of all animals in a room to see how they are positioning their bodies and indicating their moods.

Frankly, there are probably more people who shouldn’t have animal companions than not. Ignorance is no excuse. It is the responsibility of each person seeking an animal companion to know as much about that animal’s social, physical, and social needs as they can before bringing the animal into the home!

And, for the sake of the animal concerned, get it neutered or spayed! If you aren’t a breeder (hopefully a responsible and humane one!), don’t add to the over population problem of unwanted kittens and puppies.

(That’s OK, Maggie! You found a responsible family to care for you! Good doggy! Woof!)

Well, I guess I got that off my chest, Liz. I would have pissed that woman off and told her how I felt about leaving a small boy in charge of a horse while she held her lap warmer poodle.She would have been defensive and nasty back, but would defend her perfect dogs that would never get in a fight or harm a child…till they did!